Saturday, January 3, 2009

Vacation Week 1

I had this week off from work. Most of the time I just roamed around here, slept in, did shopping and some exploring but there were a few things I did that were pretty interesting. First I went to Myeong Dong my friend Aska. That was the best place ever. Myeong Dong is My(eong) Favorite! There was lots of shopping, beautiful lights, and street vendors. I can't think of anything I enjoy more than street vendors. Buying something in a store is better than alright but there is just something so much more exciting about buying something from the side of the road. I would have been a sucker for those traveling salesmen from the olden days who came through with those wooden carts. Sometimes when I am buying something from a street vendor, I think about the Teddy Ruxpin movie my brother had where somebody bought some sort of hair growth stuff from a traveling salesman and it just made plants grow on his head. I bought some shoes and tights from street vendors and the street snacks were delicious! We also watched these guys make this treat where they start off with a hard block of honey, poke holes in it, and stretch it into thousands of fine hair-like strips with corn flour. Then they cut it up and wrap it around chopped nuts and things. It was a very good show and actually a very tasty treat. The guys were very charming and there were Japanese, Americans, and Koreans watching so they chanted everything in all 3 languages. And quite honestly, if I hadn't watched them being made and enjoyed myself so much, I probably wouldn't have put anything in my mouth that looked that hairy but I am glad I tried them. Delicious. Aska says they are even better out of the freezer. I wish I had captured their performance on camera (don't worry - my New's Years Resolution is to take more and better photos!) but I found someone else did on youtube. I think its different guys and they are only chanting in English but its the same place and the process is still impressive! http://kr.youtube.com/watch?v=mSWrIXm_d-c


Aska and Heather with the card guard guy from Alice In Wonderland Dressed up for Christmas? Lotte Department Store, Meyong Dong

We bought some things. Aska is exploring purple. And I got the shoes I have been coveting for probably a year now. We were happy with our purchases.


Now it wasn't even the shopping that I loved about Myeong Dong. It was the atmosphere. And I wish I could describe it and I have tried in the huge paragraph that precedes this but I don't know that I have succeeded. Myeong Dong is AWESOME.


I have decided to stop here and make a second part to this blog because I am not sure of what will happen if the file is too big and I have quite a few pictures to post for the next part.

No comments:

Post a Comment