Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Triumph & Tragedy of Being on my Own... In Korea

(to paraphrase Loyal Frisby)



Tragedy:
A couple weeks ago, I lost my phone. Normally I like Korea. I like my life here and I have fun. But every once in a while tragedy strikes. Losing my phone was devastating.

If you know me at all, you are probably familiar with my itty bitty mood swings and tendency to react extremely and emotionally. I reacted as such when my phone disappeared. I lived without a phone for 5 days, during which I felt out of touch and depressed. Not only did I have no way of communicating with anyone, but I had lost all of my phone numbers, pictures, Zoozooclub high scores, notes I had made for myself about all sorts of things, my T-money (bus fare) phone charm, and my sense of security. I had my Korean friend call my phone repeatedly, hoping that some kind Korean taxi driver would answer it and agree to meet me and return it. Nobody answered.

It all worked out in the end. My friend Tracy (who I love) 's boyfriend (who I also love) gave me his old phone. I didn't have to buy a new phone. I didn't even have to pay any sort of reactivation fee or anything. The only thing I had to do was buy a 2,000 won adapter for my charger and a new T-money charm. But I learned a lesson. Korea feels safer than America and I'm sure it IS safer than America but caution never hurt anyone. So, I'm back to locking my door most of the time.

On the other hand...

Triumph:
I got an air conditioner! I'm going to sleep so well! And since my apartment no longer feels like a sauna, I can start doing my hair again. asaaa!

No comments:

Post a Comment